Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Music

Post subject: Calling Beyonce!
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:39 pm 
CHIEF SHEATH

I was wondering if we could get a report from your Caspian experience in Nashville?

Post subject: Re: Calling Beyonce!
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:52 pm 
SHEATH CREW

Joel wrote:
I was wondering if we could get a report from your Caspian experience in Nashville?

Might take a few days, I'm almost certain he's still in shock

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:32 am 
SHEATH CREW

I remember how I felt when I first saw them a few years ago.

I'm still disappointed I had to miss out on them in Orlando a few weeks ago. :(

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:55 am 
SHEATH CREW

scar0ftime wrote:
I remember how I felt when I first saw them a few years ago.

I'm still disappointed I had to miss out on them in Orlando a few weeks ago. :(

I'll enjoy their show extra hard for you on the 21st

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:36 am 
MYELIN SHEATH

I think Jason is still changing his pants 2 days later. That was a sick picture they took with him they and posted on IG

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:47 pm 
I WILL MODERATE YOUR ASS!

Okay I am going to attempt to properly convey the events of this past weekend without gushing like a kid but I am not promising anything.

Entire Trip Report (skip to the bottom for Caspian):

I went with three other people who I wanted to enjoy the show to say I was taking things a bit more seriously than they were would be easy to say. I guess only one of them had ever heard Caspian before and one of them was saving himself for the live experience because of how much I had built it up. We got the rental car because none of us trusted our own vehicles and we got a great deal on it so why not. After fueling up we set off on our Tennessee adventure. We arrived in Nashville early and immediately found several liquor stores of interest. For those of you who don't know I love craft beer (and it loves me- I don't care what you say!) and we loaded up proper. Setting off from there we tried to find the cheapest hotel in the middle of Nashville and were shut down partially because of a Kansas State game and lots of traveling parents and supporters were in the area for that particular weekend. Anyways we finally located lodging for a very reasonable rate with a military discount (thanks to the Marriott -Courtyard for supporting your troops and their endeavors to support great live music!)

We settled in and had some drinks and then went out to explore the different taps at the local watering holes. One of them in particular The Broadway Brewhouse was just plain awful we were mocked by several members of the wait staff for not being cool enough I guess and for trying to order without sitting down.

We eventually happened upon an incredible place called The Blackstone Restaurant and Brewery that not only brewed their own beer (that was award winning and delicious)

but also had some incredible customer service. We ordered some delicious food and sampled their tasty offerings. As 8pm neared I feared we would miss the band even though I was assured that just because the doors were opening at 8 the show probably wouldn't start till later. I couldn't stop worrying and eventually I caved and forcefully evicted my comrades out into the streets where we could find a cab (we were in no shape to drive- obviously) After I had made an ass out of myself by assuming the cab driver had no idea where he was going we arrived in the club I apologized and tipped him a small kings fortune for being the man responsible for what I knew was going to be one of the best nights of my life.

The Club (Exit / In):

We arrived and I happened to see Caspian load in but I knew better than to just annoyingly go bother them while they were trying to get their bearings. So I settled in ordered several beers (because I might have a problem?) And I waited for the first band to play...I quizzed the Caspian merch guy about pressings of Tertia which was the only record they had on tour. The first band was not my cup of tea...I mean that with as much respect I can offer any musician I know getting up in front of people and playing music is not easy. But yeah it reminded me of Death Cab for Cutie which isn't really my thing.

The second band NATIVE:

Okay Native....BLEW MY FUCKING MIND! Absolutely incredible.... sincerely incredible! yadda yadda yadda (lots of gushy fan boy stuff here) more beers a few of my comrades I came to TN with were drinking hard liquor by this point. I spoke to Phil and he asked me if there was anything in particular I wanted them to play. I requested some older stuff (Loft) which I think their new bass player didn't know yet so I eventually just told them to play whatever they had planned. He told me they needed to get a picture with me when the show was over. I was so excited! :D

edit: Also the bassist for Native was dressed up like Bubbles from The Trailer Park Boys (I shit you not!)

Caspian:

Phil came out to sound check and played with the feedback from his guitar creating some sweet droney type buildup. I recorded a bit of it but I put my camera down when things started to pick up because I wasn't going to miss any part of this. They played a good mix of stuff off the new album as well as some stuff from Tertia. They played really well and had a ton of slow down and buildup parts like we all love. I told some random guy next to me if I started crying not to be alarmed he laughed (I was serious.) Caspian played a bit but left a little early and came right back out for an encore in which they played a few more tracks included Moksha. The show ended with one kid praying at the stage (I am not religious but I think I understood.) I yelled several times at the end of songs and then once more at the end of the set "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!" because I am unable to express emotion rationally like most people.

When the set was over one of my friends I came with grabbed me by the shoulder and yelled "IS THAT WHAT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT!?" I sort of walked around for awhile with my mouth open unable to explain what had happened. Phil came out and told me to come on back to the backroom and grabbed me a beer and asked me if I enjoyed the show...I told him the truth which I think was something like "That's as close to a spiritual experience that I will ever have." surprisingly I don't think I scared any of them with anything I said. I talked to everyone in the band and they all somehow knew of me and my name...pretty rad! I was so stoked and then they told me they had to take a picture with me they put me in the center and as you can tell from this:

I couldn't cheese very well which I think that has something to do with the alcohol or my utter shock for what had just happened to my brain. My friends loved Caspian one of them definitely experienced some meltface so that was what I had hoped for. All in all it was AWESOME!

TL;DR

Native killed it, Caspian killed it, My friends loved it...we were all drunk.

Last edited by Beyonce on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:01 pm 
SHEATH CREW

if all reviews were like this one, i would actually give a shit about what the reviewer was saying! glad you had a great time, Jason!!!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:47 pm 
SHEATH CREW

Fucking amazing. Outstanding.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:01 pm 
MYELIN SHEATH

Beyonce wrote:
The second band NATIVE:

Okay Native....BLEW MY FUCKING MIND! Absolutely incredible.... sincerely incredible!

I first saw Native when they played with Caspian 2 years ago. I had the same experience. Not only that, but they were a great group of down to earth guys. I became a huge fan of theirs after that night

Beyonce wrote:
Caspian:

"That's as close to a spiritual experience that I will ever have."

This right here sums it up perfectly.

Glad you had a great time (except for that one shitty brewery, fuck them).

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:02 am 
I WILL MODERATE YOUR ASS!

Nice Jase. Couldn't have happened to a bloke more deserving than you mate. You have my envy.

Board index » Music