Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Music

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:36 pm 
SHEATH CREW

PAJ wrote:
it's great to see that you were able to feel that simply from listening to the music. to us that is a sign that we are channeling our surroundings effectively, and that's important to us.

My wife and I eloped on the beach in Tybe Island, GA 3 years ago right around the time that Tertia was released. Needless to say, it served as a perfect soundtrack. Tertia became embedded in my blood from the moment that I heard it. I always wanted to say thank you for that.

Dead Format | Lando

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:36 pm 
SHEATH CREW

Thanks for doing this Phil, I also have 2 questions:

1) What are your 2 favorite bands?

2) Who would you say are your top 2 favorite bands that have no influence in your music?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:38 pm 
CHIEF SHEATH

PAJ wrote:
Passive wrote:
What's been your favorite city/venue to play at?

at this point there are so many that it's difficult to pick just one, but there is a venue in dresden, germany named BEATPOL that we've played at twice now, and both times have been nothing short of magical on every level imaginable. the sound is absurdly enormous in there, the staff are beyond kind and hospitable, and the crowd is really up for throwing down. if i had to pick one i'd go with that. something special about that place indeed. when we were out with red sparowes in 2010 in the US we played a spot in chicago called lincoln hall that we all felt really comfortable in as well, both on and off stage. tight spot.

at the same time, some of our fondest memories are from house shows where we're all packed into a basement getting sweaty with everyone and having a good time though also.

Troy, TX!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:46 pm 
BAND MEMBER

wizzi wrote:
Thanks for doing this Phil, I also have 2 questions:

1) What are your 2 favorite bands?

2) Who would you say are your top 2 favorite bands that have no influence in your music?

wow, that's a tough one man. it is literally impossible for me to pick my 2 favorite bands because there are so many that mean and have meant so much to me, all for different reasons. if i had a gun to my head and was forced to choose, i'd probably say led zeppelin and radiohead. or maybe pink floyd. or stars of the lid. or oasis.... or maybe... ha see what i mean :)

regarding bands that have no influence, to be perfectly honest, i don't think i've ever heard a single piece of music ever that hasn't had some kind of influence on me. even if i hear something that i find particularly horrible (which doesn't happen a ton to be honest, because i love all kinds of music), then i am influenced to not create something as horrible as that song. namsayin? to answer your question more directly though... i am %100 obsessed with the music of mark kozelek and nick drake for example, and while i think most people who listen to caspian would never see the influence there, i see it all over the place. just in a very different way.

thanks for the thoughtful question - hope this made some kind of sense.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:48 pm 
BAND MEMBER

lando wrote:
PAJ wrote:
it's great to see that you were able to feel that simply from listening to the music. to us that is a sign that we are channeling our surroundings effectively, and that's important to us.

My wife and I eloped on the beach in Tybe Island, GA 3 years ago right around the time that Tertia was released. Needless to say, it served as a perfect soundtrack. Tertia became embedded in my blood from the moment that I heard it. I always wanted to say thank you for that.

that is absolutely beautiful and stunning - little things like this really have a way of inspiring musicians to create more. my best to you and your wife, my friend.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:49 pm 
BAND MEMBER

Joel wrote:
PAJ wrote:
Passive wrote:
What's been your favorite city/venue to play at?

at this point there are so many that it's difficult to pick just one, but there is a venue in dresden, germany named BEATPOL that we've played at twice now, and both times have been nothing short of magical on every level imaginable. the sound is absurdly enormous in there, the staff are beyond kind and hospitable, and the crowd is really up for throwing down. if i had to pick one i'd go with that. something special about that place indeed. when we were out with red sparowes in 2010 in the US we played a spot in chicago called lincoln hall that we all felt really comfortable in as well, both on and off stage. tight spot.

at the same time, some of our fondest memories are from house shows where we're all packed into a basement getting sweaty with everyone and having a good time though also.

Troy, TX!

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y !!! :D

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:49 pm 
MYELIN SHEATH

PAJ wrote:

Are the crowds in Europe more active? It was kind of a surprise to me when I went from death metal shows to post-metal/rock shows and no one moved an inch. When I saw ISIS I think I was the only one head banging. Even when I saw you guys it seemed about the same. Have seen the same in youtube videos I've watched of Rosetta playing. No one moving at all

Last edited by Passive on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:52 pm 
SHEATH CREW

PAJ wrote:
even if i hear something that i find particularly horrible (which doesn't happen a ton to be honest, because i love all kinds of music), then i am influenced to not create something as horrible as that song. namsayin?

this was not an answer that i expected to receive, but it is absolutely BRILLIANT! :lol: i've really never thought of it that way as being an influence, but i guess you are correct. if it inspires you not to suck that bad, it's still an influence!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:54 pm 
SHEATH CREW

What's some of the music you're currently listening to? Did you have a chance to listen to Baroness album? If so, did you like the musical progression they did?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:57 pm 
SOMA

Location: the infernal regions of The Mylene Sheath headquarters
Bgibbs wrote:
What's some of the music you're currently listening to? Did you have a chance to listen to Baroness album? If so, did you like the musical progression they did?

I thought we already discussed this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Board index » Music