Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Old News and Preorders

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:34 pm 
CHIEF SHEATH

Hey gang,

In light of recent activity with bands leaving the label to pursue other interests, we felt it was necessary to address the event for future reference. First with Constants, then Junius, then If These Trees Could Talk, etc we've had to deal with the realistic notion that... well, it can happen... and does :)

From the beginning, our goal was to form a unified family of DEVELOPING artists that we could build something together with and hopefully create something new and exciting within the industry for estranged music fans, like ourselves, to renew their faith in. Not so much a "revolution", but something that simply wasn't really happening on a very large scale in 2007, we felt. I think we accomplished that together with the bands over the past five years. And we're beyond proud of all of their accomplishments, and proud of our own as well.

Inevitably as a band grows more popular, interest is garnered from other labels. So it's only natural that bands would get curious and want to explore and try new things with the delivery of their music. This is why lots of record labels sign bands into multi-album deals, so that any of the work and money that they've given developing the artist, can hopefully develop as well, while the artist does. We've never signed a multi-album deal with a band, and we probably never will. We prefer the notion that a band works with us because they want to work with us, on an album by album basis. This does leave us vulnerable to a loss on our 'investment', but it also creates an environment of freedom for the artist, knowing they'll never have to "force" an album out of obligation, just to get out of some silly multiple album record deal with us, etc.

So as the roster continues to change and evolve over time, please continue to support the bands that choose to leave, whether you're bummed about them leaving or not. If we don't continue to support them, then all of the initial work that went into their development is for nothing, and that defeats the entire history of the label :) It definitely DOES hurt every time a band you've worked with chooses another path, but we're all human with different wants, needs, and desires. You know what they say, if you love something let it go, and well, you know the rest :D

We'd rather they be free and leave, than controlled to stay. At the end of the day, it's still all about the music.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:45 pm 
MYELIN SHEATH

Plus, there's always hope that they'll come back like Constants, eh? :D

Really well said though. I guess it's just a bit of a shock sometimes

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:43 pm 
SHEATH CREW

Well, nothing can be said against you, the workload you put into releases AND against the bands...it's always development and progression!

The bands will always owe you one and you'll be part of their work/progression as they grow...don't know why, but it seems as if I only write drunk lately... :lol:

Keep up the good work! You still have A LOT of GREAT bands! Love you and all the bands!

CASPIAN - Sycamore
CASPIAN - Concrescence
CASPIAN - New Song
CASPIAN - Intro / The Raven

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:03 pm 
I WILL MODERATE YOUR ASS!

Sasan wrote:
The bands will always owe you one and you'll be part of their work/progression as they grow.

In the most-positive way possible, this is on the money. Without the Sheath's initial outpouring, these bands may not be where they are today. Which is awesome for the band, that they can progress and follow their dream, and this philosophy behind the label allows the label to grow and evolve.

Wonderful words Joely. it's kinda like seeing your children go off into the world to fend for themselves. We'll always love the bands and the music they created while here, and will always love what they do onwards and upwards, but as with families, we have to 'let go' when the time is right.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:14 pm 
SHEATH CREW

very well said, Joel.

i admit, i've been bummed when bands have left the sheath, but due to that sheath connection and the bond that we've all built with these bands as being a part of the sheath there really isn't an option other than to SUPPORT THESE BANDS! these bands are what brought us to the sheath. these bands are what brought us together and they will continue to bring us together. without the hard work the sheath put in, we may not have any further output from these bands. it's the circle of life and we're ALL a part of that circle!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:35 pm 
SHEATH CREW

Everyone is making excellent points.

Nothing lasts forever and as long as you go to bed at night knowing you did your very best at what you do, then thats all you can really ask for.

I have mucho respecto for this label and what they do, stand for and deliver from each new release and signing all the way down to hand written notes saying 'thank you'.

Quote:
From the beginning, our goal was to form a unified family of DEVELOPING artists that we could build something together with....

and that you have. these artists are some gigantic names in their genre now, thanks to you.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:59 pm 
SHEATH CREW

wizzi wrote:
very well said, Joel.

i admit, i've been bummed when bands have left the sheath, but due to that sheath connection and the bond that we've all built with these bands as being a part of the sheath there really isn't an option other than to SUPPORT THESE BANDS! these bands are what brought us to the sheath. these bands are what brought us together and they will continue to bring us together. without the hard work the sheath put in, we may not have any further output from these bands. it's the circle of life and we're ALL a part of that circle!

/thread

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:13 am 
MYLENE MAMA

We rather they be free and leave than controlled to stay

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:15 am 
SOMA

Location: the infernal regions of The Mylene Sheath headquarters
Whatever dudes, F*ck that shit!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:14 am 
SHEATH CREW

Boris wrote:
Whatever dudes, F*ck that shit!

:o

Always will support the bands, but I hate to think that you guys may have been slighted in any way. It's kind of like an "I feel your pain" reaction.

Board index » Old News and Preorders