Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Old News and Preorders

Who is the best of The Demo Drawer: Week 49, 2012?
Poll ended at Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:10 pm
Blien Vesne 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Farfetch'd 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Loraine 45%  45%  [ 9 ]
Time Columns 55%  55%  [ 11 ]
Viter 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wig Night 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Zahara Shaw 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's Just Vanity 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:10 pm 
CHIEF SHEATH

Hey guys, week after week we have a lot of potentially badass bands sending us potentially mind-blowing demos, but we simply cannot listen to everything we receive. So we thought it would be cool if you guys helped us out a little bit and checked these bands out for us. Then let us know what you think of them and which ones we should definitely give a solid listen to. Why? Well, your taste in music is obviously the best in the world, and again, we are inundated with these and can't possibly sift through them on our own!

So we'll do this weekly or bi-weekly, and you guys can rate them all on a scale of 1 to 5 or whatever, and leave some comments about why you scored it the way you did. You can also vote up your favorite in the poll.

So we're starting this a little late in the week, but this will be "The Demo Drawer: Week 49, 2012" :D

Here's a few that we've got to check out this week...

Blien Vesne:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6kzPJI-3Y8

Farfetch'd:
http://soundcloud.com/thrifleganger/far ... ignificant

Loraine:
http://loraine.bandcamp.com/

Time Columns:
http://timecolumns.bandcamp.com/album/mana

Viter:
http://soundcloud.com/vitersounds/sets/springtime

Wig Night:
http://soundcloud.com/wignight

Zahara Shaw:
http://youtu.be/ZLVGPLzwWMs

It's Just Vanity:
http://itsjustvanity.bandcamp.com/

So listen to 'em, make a post below, rate and review each act, and then vote for your favorite in the poll. If nothing else, maybe we'll be exposing these guys to potential new fans that can help spread the word about their music.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:13 pm 
SHEATH CREW

Blien Vesne:
very Explosions in the Sky-ish. almost TOO EITS-ish. it wasn't bad, but nothing really groundbreaking.

Farfetch'd:
i thought this was pretty interesting. reminded me of GIAA-lite, not too shabby!

Loraine:
again, another EITS clone to my ears.

Time Columns:
this band just SOUNDS Sheathy. by far my favorite of the list. almost immediately, i was thinking "man, these guys could slot right into the sheath roster and sound like they'd been there for years!"

Viter:
WAT

Wig Night:
nothanks

Zahara Shaw:
certainly not the best song to send out as a 'demo'. is this is the best she's got, recycle bin time!

It's Just Vanity:
these guys could potentially be decent if they didn't have a singer. he kinda ruined the entire thing for me

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:27 pm 
SHEATH CREW

Rating system of 1-5 with 1 being low. Brief description too. scale also based on 'would i buy it?' 3 and above is a maybe to a 5 being 'hands down i'd buy this.' i may have been too harsh but im not only picky with my post rock, im also looking for a specific sound to trigger something in me to follow groups with each new release they put out.

Blien Vesne:
2.5. In the middle. i checked out a few more of them on youtube and there really isnt a unique enough sound to them to stand apart for me at this point. doesnt mean they cant grow into something. i gave them a 2.5 based on potential.

Farfetch'd:
2.75. hate to be picky and normally i dont care, but the band name is corny and its driving me nuts. not a/the reason i ranked it low...that would be stupid. interesting acoustic sounds mixed with the electronic sounds...not sure what it does for me tho. (apparently not much) this track really didnt grab my attention.

Loraine:
2.5. simple. safe. sounds too basic for me. i want instrumental songs to take me places far away and exotic. this took me to the end of my living room to turn up the thermostat. after playing each track, i kind of forgot the music was still going. nothing here etched anything into my innards. this band is like a fender bender. everyone is alright, but theres nothing to see here and time to move along.

Time Columns:
4.agree with wizzi. crazy changes, nice tempo and a more challenging sound which my taste buds thank them kindly for. not that what sound they have produced hasnt been done before, but it hasnt been done like this...if that makes sense. i thought i was going to get annoyed at the vocals but i didnt.

Viter:
0. sounds like songs for a show on the cartoon network featuring a viking with some kind of weird animal as his sidekick who plays the flute. im not sure whats going on here. i will be tuning in next week to see how our mighty hero gets out of his latest jam...and by jam i dont mean music.

Wig Night:
0. i am thankful that this was just the sampler. this is just mess.

Zahara Shaw:
0. well...shes got a good voice. who's playing guitar in this? i wouldnt show my face either...but thats besides the point. maybe a demo with an original? doesnt really do anything for me. and yes, spit out your gum.

It's Just Vanity:
2.75 with vocals. 3-4 without. i like the sound. but agreed that the vocals kinda ruined it for me. i listened to each track pretending that there was no singer and it sounded a LOT better. the vocals and music just never matched up for me. it felt awkward. a couple of spots when he was singing made me cringe a little. someone has to be guilty here. guilty of murdering good songs.

maybe i was a little rough and perhaps im a bit grumpy tonight but theres my honest opinion of this list of demo's.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:11 pm 
SHEATH CREW

i gotta say, after reading ECN's comments, i agree with every single thing he said 100% i really suck at reviewing music and bands other than "i like it" or "i don't like it", but thankfully ECN put every single one of my thoughts into his post!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:20 am 
SHEATH CREW

I too am going to use a 1-5 scale with 1 being low, however, I will not be as detailed as ECN was i n his reviews. I'm going to be a bit more blunt, wizzi style! For me, its not about changing tempos, riffs, or fills. It's all about whether I like it or not. Let's get started, shall we?

Blien Vesne - Going to have to agree with EITS comparison on these guys. When they actually started to get into the music instead of the build up is when I thought they were ok. But again, nothing here really grabbed me. They get a 2

Farfetch'd - Nothing really special here to me. Kinda bland / boring for my taste. They get a 1.5

Loraine - Kinda bland. Nothing really going on here that gets me excited. They get a 2

Time Columns - All I can say for this one is, whoa. These guys immediately grabbed my attention. They aren't trying to imitate another band. They are doing their own thing and I dig it a lot. They get a 4 from me as well.

Viter - Vocals ruined this for me right off the rip. They get a -2

Wig Night - Unstructured from the start, felt like I was listening to 5 different songs of 5 different genres. They get a 1

Zahara Shaw - She has a nice voice, song was kinda meh. Would like to hear her do her own stuff. To me this isn't really Sheath material. She gets a 1.5

It's Just Vanity - I again have to agree with everyone else on these guys. The vocals kinda ruined it. Music was definitely good and has potential, but the vocals killed all that. They get a 2.

My vote goes for Time Columns.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:56 am 
DENDRITE

Blien Vesne:
decent. nothing wrong really, just could diversify and branch out. needs more magic

Farfetch'd:
really chill. i dig it.

Loraine:
magical.

Time Columns:
tight, but I got bored really quick. in fact, never really caught the interest. the entire way through the album.

Viter:
nah

Wig Night:
not for me

Zahara Shaw:
nope

It's Just Vanity:
as above, ew at the vocals

Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:46 pm 
I WILL MODERATE YOUR ASS!

Blien Vesne:
ehhh not bad but bland.

Farfetch'd:
3ish
some interesting stuff here but over all more of the same thing. The song doesn't really take flight, it hang out flapping it's wings on ground level for a while then settles back into more of the same.

Loraine:
This is pretty good, but I feel like they have some trouble with intonation... MAybe it's just me. It's pretty good. Same as the above though, the tunes are solid but they are kind of idle

Time Columns:
3.5-4
This is good stuff. there is a lot happening. very dynamic tunes. the more i listen to it the more i enjoy it

Viter:
1.5-2
Very corny. Not a fan. Musically strong but the style is just too... beehhhhh

Wig Night:
not enjoying any of the stuff they are selling on this thing

Zahara Shaw:
She is chewing gum while trying to get signed. Guitar is out of tune. Not even close to being my style. This is just not good for this label.

It's Just Vanity:
Music is good, vocals are grating.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:56 pm 
SHEATH CREW

I love love love the idea of the demo drawer.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:47 am 
I WILL MODERATE YOUR ASS!

whoa I have no idea what this was when I clicked it and then I saw Time Columns who blow my mind.

VOTED, BACKED etc

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:24 pm 
CHIEF SHEATH

OK, I think it's safe to assume that Time Columns emerge victorious as the week 49 champs. We even had a couple different people send us Facebook messages about them. So we will definitely give these guys a thorough listening :D

Thanks guys, we're going to set up the Week 50 Demo Drawer now :D

Board index » Old News and Preorders