Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Audiophile Stuff

Forum rules

Discuss all yr needs, wants, issues, dreams, nightmares, recommendations, slates - everything to do with the tech side of our love!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:03 am 
NODE OF RANVIER

Here we can post some examples of good choices for entry level kit...
Amp's, Receivers, Turntables, Speakers etc... All up to the $500/£400 price mark, or there abouts.

(could someone sticky again? :) )

Last edited by DoomRider on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:16 am 
NODE OF RANVIER

This is a great option for someone first starting out or someone who's thinking that they're not going to be spinning their wax all that often...

Denon F107 DAB (£350/$)

This was my first set up and I still have it, its a little corker. Just a little mini system, but its got a MM phono input so you can whack your turntable straight onto it with no hassle what so ever. With the added bonus of the cd player, flash drive player (which will also take your iPod, DAB radio, and give an additional input for your TV should you choose to use it as such.
Totally ideal to save space, and with Denon's SC F107 Speakers and DP 200USB turntable its an awesome little set up.

Last edited by DoomRider on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:38 am 
NODE OF RANVIER

Denon - DP 200USB ($250/£150)

This was my first turntable, worthy of mentioning. For the money I really honestly can't fault it.
Nice automatic movement, helpful little dust cover and I could record those unique little 7" tracks to USB and whack them on my iPod. It's simple, the quality is great and it looks lovely. Yes, it has a fixed cartridge, but if you're looking for a cheap little addition to your HiFi that will get little to moderate use, seriously look no further!

Last edited by DoomRider on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:49 am 
NODE OF RANVIER

Denon SC-F107 Speakers ($200/£120)

These completed my first little set up. They are pretty much the equivalent of the SC- N7 which are for the American market.
Wonderful little speakers at a great price. They're quite bass heavy without the little foam dampener plugs that are supplied. But even still, the bass sounds lovely and fat and not at all flabby and weak. Lovely stuff!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:50 pm 
NODE OF RANVIER

Ortofon 2M Red ($120/£75)

Best entry level MM cartridge on the market. The only thing thats better than its looks is its price.
For me Ortofon are like Pro-ject, they make the best possible product for the best possible price and their range is great. From entry level to high end, they can't be faulted.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:43 pm 
MYELIN SHEATH

I'm looking into a new (cheap-ish) set up. Was looking at the Audio Technica AT-LP60

Friend of mine said he saw the Onkyo 8255 refurb receiver for $99 so I might hit that up as well.

And as for speakers, I was thinking of the Polk Monitor 40

What do you guys think?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:38 pm 
NODE OF RANVIER

the LP60 is cracking for that price. can't upgrade the cartridge from what i remember but thats not the end of the world. good solid build too.
the Onkyo refurb sounds like a good bet too squire.

I can't pass judgement on the Polk's as I've not had any prior exposure to them.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:33 pm 
SHEATH CREW

I was thinking of moving away from this IONTT that was given to me by my dad years ago and moving up to a Pro-ject Debut III. I'm not sure about what to work out as far as a receiver or speaker though.

Would you still recommend that amp/speaker combo to someone who listens to a lot of records often but would still like to upgrade to a relatively inexpensive set?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:34 pm 
SHEATH CREW

Would you still recommend that amp/speaker combo to someone who wants to upgrade their admittedly crappy speakers but would like to be a little more frugal with the costs for an upgrade? You know, someone like me? :D

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:55 am 
DENDRITE

I'm really wanting to upgrade the platter on my Debut III to acrylic, but I'm not completely sold on it yet. Will there be a noticeable audio difference, or would it be merely aesthetic? I've replaced the cartridge with an Ortofon Red and my speakers are Infinity Primus P363s and my receiver is an Onkyo (not certain of the model) with a built in phonostage.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowie_State_University

Board index » Audiophile Stuff