EF 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
Set And Setting 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sundoze 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Atlantis 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:50 pm 
CHIEF SHEATH

Hey dudes! Here's the first list of 2013 for Week 1 consideration :D

For those of you checking out the Demo Drawer for the first time, here's an explanation of what this is all about:

Quote:
Hey guys, week after week we have a lot of potentially badass bands sending us potentially mind-blowing demos, but we simply cannot listen to everything we receive. So we thought it would be cool if you guys helped us out a little bit and checked these bands out for us. Then let us know what you think of them and which ones we should definitely give a solid listen to. Why? Well, your taste in music is obviously the best in the world, and again, we are inundated with these and can't possibly sift through them on our own!

So we'll do this weekly or bi-weekly, and you guys can rate them all on a scale of 1 to 5 or whatever, and leave some comments about why you scored it the way you did. You can also vote up your favorite in the poll.

Here's a few that we've got to check out this week...

EF:
https://soundcloud.com/efmusic

Set And Setting:
http://setandsetting.bandcamp.com/

Sundoze:
http://sundoze.bandcamp.com/album/waking-signs-2012

Atlantis:
http://www.atlantis.bandcamp.com/

So listen to 'em, make a post below, rate and review each act, and then vote for your favorite in the poll. If nothing else, maybe we'll be exposing these guys to potential new fans that can help spread the word about their music.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:31 pm 
SHEATH CREW

Bored at work, let's do this

EF - Wow, pretty good actually. Not the typical "let's see how close we can be to Explosions in the Sky" stuff that usually gets submitted to these things. Name is kinda meh 3.5/5

Set And Setting - Not bad. Kinda slow, but it does pick up in most places. 3/5

Sundoze - Nope. 1/5

Atlantis - Meh. 1.5/5

EF wins it this week for me. Set and Setting was a very close second

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:27 pm 
I WILL MODERATE YOUR ASS!

EF applied with us? they had a bunch of good releases a few years ago, I kind of lost track of them for a while though.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:37 pm 
CHIEF SHEATH

Yeah, we've been talking on & off for years, they have a new album coming out later this year apparently, new stuff is killer. Wanted to see what you guys thought of them :)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:54 pm 
SHEATH CREW

EF - STRONG. 4+. so good.

Set And Setting - 3.5

Sundoze - 1.5.

Atlantis - 3.5. im a cult of luna fan..

EF gets my vote as well.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:01 pm 
DENDRITE

Hey everyone! This is Shane from Set and Setting! Thanks for checking out the stuff, I appreciate it a lot! Glad to see some enjoyed it.

Just wanted to throw this out there that the songs on our bandcamp is our older stuff. The demo I sent to the Mylene crew was a private link of our new full length! We are trying to release this soon enough and I hope that you will check it out. Also - we're doing an east coast tour in January and if you live in one of the areas you should come hang out! The dates are listed on our Facebook - [link_open=]facebook.com/setandsetting[/link_open]

Thanks for listening and keep in touch!

Ps. Hope to hear from you, Mylene crew! ;)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:39 pm 
SHEATH CREW

EF:
4.0 - i've checked these guys out several times in the past and always liked what i heard.

Set And Setting:
3.5 - very nice. i could see myself listening to a full record from these cats.

Sundoze:
2.5 - not bad, but not good. just kinda ok

Atlantis:
2.5 - not bad, but not good. just kinda ok

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:45 pm 
SHEATH CREW

Ef - 4.0
Set And Setting - 3.9
Sundoze - 3
Atlantis - 3

Some really good listens this week, and finally made time to post.

I own all Ef's releases in digital; to me they started postrock-slowcore/mellowcore (to my ears like Gregor Samsa & Kwoon) and I have to be in a certain mood for that... I like how their music progressed to Mourning Golden Morning, though it seems some of their fan base didn't. I enjoyed the new material, and it would be quite a feather in the Sheath cap to snag them.

Set and Setting were really, really good. Very *well* executed and listened all the way through... didn't seem to be 'grower' material, so not sure if I would buy or not-- but that's because I'm running out of storing space in my audio room and on my hard drive. Still, if they came close by on the east coast, might try go get out and see them. Enjoyed Sundoze and Atlantis, too. No home runs, tho'.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:44 am 
I WILL MODERATE YOUR ASS!

Sundoze: Wanted to listen to this first due to the average responses they got in previous posts. Think if they had a big label behind them, they'd go far with the Nickelback crowd. Not that that is a good thing. Like we need ANOTHER fucking Nickelback. Sound is well constructed, ticks all the boxes for getting the punters in, but I can't help but think this is not a Sheath band. I dont find any real soul in this, as much as they attempt to convey it. 2.0

Atlantis: Ditto with the average response deal. Whilst I am not overly enamored with the 'European' electronic-rock/metal sound, some recent releases stick out as pretty impressive. For example, the latest 'Blut-aus-nord' release, '777' and those funky Melbournites 'Heirs' with their most recent dig 'Fowl'. I'll throw La Petite Mort in there too. So much so, I've ordered the 10". Really like this. Lots of stuff going on, no (obvious) fake pretenses. With the Sheath expanding their roster width-ways genre-wise, Altantis could be a good fit. 4.0

ps: may I ask though, how is it that i can order this from the Netherlands and it be $5 cheaper than ordering direct from the Australian label?

EF: Heard a lot of these guys over the years. Whilst good and they execute well, I think they would suit the Sheath a few years ago, but it feels as if the Sheath are expanding from their post-rock roots and this may well hark back to days of yore. Which depending how you look at it, could be a good thing. Anyways, I prefer the ROCK post-rock over the POST post-rock, therefore GFE, BoS and Caspo will always rise above the EITS-type bands for me. Listening to Delusions of Grandeur doesn't really offer anything new for me. I do like the horns in there, but otherwise its a bit same same. I maybe in the minority, but its a 2.5 from me.

Set and Setting: LOVING the big bass sound. Man, that is some depth. Nice, heavy and rocky. Like this a lot, even if its 'old' material. Looking forward to hearing what they've got coming up. Just hope that keep that phat bass sound. 3.5

Board index » Old News and Preorders